Thursday, June 1, 2017

Living with Tennis Elbow

It is quite common for those of us who are most active and aware of the importance of listen to our bodies to be the same ones who take our bodies for granted. We push it just “one more time”, or “one more race” only to put ourselves out of commission for longer than we would have been if we’d listened to our bodies the first time.  

Sue's Story:
My latest recovery story is one where I took those lessons from the “just one more time” mindset. 

In December of 2016 I woke up one morning to severe elbow pain. I couldn’t tie it back to a workout or injury, & figured it was the heavy load I’d been carrying around all week. The next morning, flexion and extension became difficult & I experienced numbness. Again, I thought, hmmm, slept weird. Once function returned I didn’t think much of it. 

Day three it hit me. When I grabbed my big glass of water in the morning, searing pain shot from my hand, through the tendons in my arm to my elbow. I dropped the glass to the floor and, well, expletives. At that moment the terms “carpal tunnel”, “tendonitis”, and “tennis elbow” all ran through my head. Basic things were suddenly painful- squeezing a bottle of Windex, brushing my hair, opening a jar, pulling wet clothes out of the laundry, even taking a picture with my iPhone! 

I went immediately to my expert resource, a Facebook Post. In all seriousness, the number of friends I have who had “been there” or are in the healing arts, I knew I’d get excellent feedback.

My routine quickly shifted to Epsom salt baths, massage, yoga (my body has been screaming MORE YOGA for years) and in particular, locust pose. Being consistent, I saw great improvements. I could also see the impact of skipping a day or two of some kind of recovery effort.

After teaching at ENRGi, my arms craved a deep stretch (there’s some serious arm action in WERQ!). Hanging from the bars in the SWAT room, or deep stretches using the yoga hammocks did wonders.

I learned more about foods that cause inflammation, thereby increasing pain & hindering progress. As a cheeseaholic, I was saddened to find dairy a prime culprit. But the reduction in inflammation I felt just a week into avoiding it quickly changed those desires.

I did officially get a tennis elbow diagnosis and PT routine. While I’m still improving, my pain level is drastically reduced and my function greatly increased. It has truly been a lesson in the importance of recovery and consistency. A happy body is definitely worth the dedication.  

If you'd like to contact Sue about her story, email info@enrgifitness.com and we will connect you.