Wednesday, June 28, 2017

Congrats Hayden & Julie!!

We have new captains leading our ship and they are a POWERHOUSE! We asked Hayden & Julie to share their fitness journeys so you can learn more about them.  

Hayden's Fitness Journey:
I was never sure what I wanted to be when I grew up, but I figured it'd hit me eventually. And boom- one day a kettlebell hit me. Well... it dropped on my foot as I was re-racking weights at my first gym job. I guess I'll deem that as my calling into the fitness industry. 

It wasn't always a gym, but my odd jobs always had an aspect of physical activity. I think if you grow up playing sports, you crave movement and exercise in your daily life. Whether it was pushing carts at Target, driving a pedicab, or helping move things around on a construction site- I just wanted to move. 

When I started my first gig at a gym in 2013, I knew right away it was the place I wanted to be. A place where heavy weights flowed like the rivers of ancient babylon, and the gains flourished under the downpour of sweat. The press to encourage people to feel the same way I did about fitness set in almost immediately. Got certified, started training, and the rest was history. Group Fitness ended up being the path I found a passion for, and I haven't turned back. 

"You're an athlete, kid." -My high school hockey coach, John Butler

Julie's Fitness Journey:
I got into fitness because my Mom was a gym coach. From an early age I was thrusted into competitive gymnastics, soccer, then cross country and track. My love of movement turned into a passion for dance and before I knew it I was off to college studying Dance. 

Post college I performed in various companies around Chicago and in 2013 I made the decision to embark on a great cross-country cycling adventure. The route began in Portland, Maine and ended in Santa Barbara, California. 26 initial strangers and myself averaged 70 miles a day totaling around 4,060 miles. We crossed 16 State borders, biked through the Poconos, many cornfields, the Ozarks, straight into the panhandle of Texas, through the White Sands of New Mexico to the Grand Canyon, monsoon in the Mohave and landed in California! I rode with Bike and Build, an organization that encourages young adults to participate in community enrichment by raising awareness and funds for the affordable housing crisis. On our days “off” we would volunteer with different organizations across America and help repair homes for people in need. 

I am intrigued by the body and what it can accomplish, maybe one too many parkour videos! I am extremely excited to keep learning as the industry expands and help pass along the knowledge!